Can a owner of a home (parent) be sued if their 18 year old daughter gets into an accident without insurance.

Asked about 3 years ago - Cincinnati, OH

The daughter is living at the parents home, but is paying rent for the use of the home. The car she is driving is in her name.

Attorney answers (3)

  1. Thomas Patrick Ryan


    Contributor Level 8

    Answered . No, as long as the child was not under the age of 18 at the time of the accident. Also, since the daughter is the owner of the car, there cannot be a claim for negligent entrustment. Unless there is something more involved in the facts that is not posted, then the parents are not at risk of being sued.

  2. Andrew Michael Korduba


    Contributor Level 11

    Answered . Anyone can be sued for anything in this country. The question is, really, whether or not there is any potential legal liabiity for the parent of the 18 year old household resident. If it was her car in her name, the answer is no, parent/homeowner cannot be liable. If the car was "insured" under the parent's auto policy and/or if the 18 year old daughter was a "named insured" on the parent's auto policy, then yes, they can/will be sued for the insurance coverage. Homeowner's coverage will not apply. Good luck.

  3. Lars A. Lundeen


    Contributor Level 20

    Answered . This daughter is of majority age. Since she owns the car, I do not see where you would have any cause of action against the parents. You need to file your claim with your uninsured motorist carrier or sue this individual in the appropriate court.

    Legal Disclaimer:

    If this information has been helpful, please indicate below.

    Mr. Lundeen is licensed to practice law in Florida and Vermont. The response herein is not legal advice and does not create an attorney/client relationship. The response is in the form of legal education and is intended to provide general information about the matter within the question. Oftentimes the question does not include significant and important facts and timelines that, if known, could significantly change the reply and make it unsuitable. Mr. Lundeen strongly advises the questioner to confer with an attorney in your state in order to ensure proper advice is received.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

28,860 answers this week

3,138 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

28,860 answers this week

3,138 attorneys answering