Can a OVI , guilty plea and mental disabilty jepordize my future employment?

Columbus, OH |

Three traffic violation charges in 201. Two dismissed, found guilty of OVI. Two felony drug charges in 2012. One dismissed, and pleaded other to M1 theft. Will all original charges show up on BC. I also suffer from anxiety attacks which has caused my to lose my last job b/c I panic in large crowds, and I am diagnosed with bipolar.

1. Yes. Any criminal conviction may jeopardize potential employment. It is an underappreciated additional reason to hire a good criminal defense attorney. As yourself, "If you are employer and you have 2 equally qualified candidates and one has a criminal record and the other does not; all else equal, who do you hire?" Obviously, the one without a criminal record. Additionally, OVI can severely hamper a potential employment where driving a company vehicle or CDL is involved.

Kentucky law does not certify specialty of practice in this area. The advice given herein is informational and should not be considered as creating an attorney/client relationship. Michael Bouldin is an independent attorney located in Northern Kentucky. It is strongly recommended to not give any confidential information on any website.

2. Depending on the type of background check is used by your potential employer, some or all of this information may be available. Whether or not it will affect your employment, I cannot say. That is at the discretion of the person hiring you. However, I can recommend that, if asked, you are honest about any charges you have received.

As to the anxiety attacks and the bipolar disorder, a diagnosed mental disease is considered a disability under both State and Federal law. An employer cannot lawfully discriminate against you for either of these conditions, as long as you can perform the essential functions of the job with or without reasonable accommodation.

Lori A. Strobl
    Strobl & Associates, Co LPA
    1015 E. Centerville Station Rd.
    Centerville, Ohio 45459
    www.strobllaw.com
    (937) 496-1450

This website contains general information only. The information contained in this website is not intended to convey or constitute legal advice on any subject matter or intended as advertising or a solicitation. Readers should not rely on the information presented on this website for any purpose without seeking legal advice on the specific facts and circumstances at issue from a licensed attorney in the reader’s state. The information in this website contains general information which is intended, but cannot be guaranteed, to be always up-to-date, complete and accurate. Any representation or warranty that might be otherwise implied is expressly disclaimed. Strobl & Associates, Co., L.P.A. expressly disclaims all liability or responsibility with respect to actions taken or not taken based on any or all of the information contained in this website. Readers should not consider the information presented on this website to be an invitation for an attorney-client relationship, and the transmission of such information is not intended to create, and receipt does not constitute, and attorney-client relationship between the reader and Strobl & Associates, Co., L.P.A. The content of any Internet e-mail sent to Strobl & Associates, Co., L.P.A. or to its attorneys at the e-mail addresses set forth in this website will not create an attorney-client relationship and will not be treated as confidential. Readers should be aware that communications via the Internet may not be secure. Strobl & Associates Co., L.P.A. does not necessarily endorse, and is not responsible for, any third-party content that may be accessed through this website.

3. Contact a Lawyer ASAP, you need a personal consultation with a professional.

Matisyahu Wolfberg
    www.FormerCop.com
    NY Criminal defense Attorney

4. Your criminal charges may have an impact on your future employment, and you may want to consult with an attorney regarding your employment status and your options regarding your criminal charges.

Douglas Riddell
    Attorney at Law
    (614) 361-2804
    www.riddelllaw.com

Criminal defense Topics