Can a officer search my car for not having insurance?

Norcross, GA |

he said he drove pass my car and his car read that I didn't have insurance

1. I am going to re post this under criminal law. I think you will get more answers.

2. Without insurance, the car is subject to being impounded. Impounding a vehicle allows the officer to "inventory" the contents.

↓ Mark this answer as "Helpful" or "Best Answer" if you like it. For more information, contact us at www.SteakleyLawFirm.com or (404) 835-7595. The initial consultation is always free for Avvo users.

3. Yes

The information is provided for general purposes only and should not be relied upon. You are advised to consult with an attorney of your choosing, who can advise you on the particular facts and options in your case. No attorney-client relationship is intended or formed absent you executing a signed fee agreement. P. Darrell Kimbrell is licensed to practice law in the State of Georgia. Information provided is based only on Georgia law, and is not directly applicable to any other jurisdictions, states, or districts. This response, or any response, is not legal advice nor does such response create an attorney/client relationship. The response is in the form of legal education and is intended to provide general information. Any state specific concerns should be directed to an attorney who is licensed to practice law in that respective state.

4. He can stop your car for not having insurance. Once your car is stopped, he can search it if he has probable cause you committed another crime or if he is going to impound your car.
    What was found in the car?

5. I agree with the other attorneys who have responded. I write separately to tell you that, if the officer justified the search based upon an inventory for impoundment, he will actually have to show that he, in fact, inventoried the vehicle. If he searched the vehicle without completing an inventory as to its contents, this would not be a valid inventory search.