Can a notarized letter give me temporary custody of my friends 2 children

Asked almost 2 years ago - Los Angeles, CA

i have a friend that lives with me and we have raised our 4 kids together (2 mine, 2 hers)
she has a legal matter that she needs to go to jail for and she wants to leave me the kids while she is gone. but we dont want to do the whole court thing. would a affadavit/notarized letter be enough in case i need to make some emergency medical descions or re-enroll them in school.

1. Hillary Johns

2

Answered . No. Your friend would have to petition the court for a guardianship so as to effectuate any legal rights to care for your children.

2. Dara Joy Goldsmith

1

Answered . If your friend lived in Nevada and she had sole ciustody of the children, she could effectuate the kind of guardianship you are looking for up to 6 months. This would not be sufficient to add to your insurance but would address emergencies or school enrollment.

3. Peggy Margaret Raddatz

Pro

1

1

Answered . NO! You can do a guardianship yourselves at your local courthouse. Simply go online for the forms and then fill them our. you will be giving her legal guardianship. you will have to give the father legal notice. It should not be that hard at all to do this and pretty quick also. When you come out you can revoke the legal guardianship. It is done like this all the time. She needs it to be legal for school registration and also medical decisions.