Skip to main content

Can a non-profit Faith Based Organization have a primary mission goal to teach children fire safety?

Antioch, CA |

I would like to know if a FBO can incorporate as a non-profit public benefit corporation

+ Read More

Attorney answers 4


The answer is yes.

When I respond to a question posted on Avvo, I provide information for a general purpose. In reviewing my answer, you are specifically warned that your use of, or reliance upon any response that I provide would be a bad idea. I do not have all relevant background or facts related to your matter, and am not in a position to give you legal advice. Further, your review, use of, or reliance upon any response by me does not establish an attorney-client relationship between us and does not qualify as a legal consultation for any purpose.


I am unaware of any state or federal prohibition of a non-profit faith based organization to have a primary mission goal to teach children fire safety. This would be perfectly acceptable.

If you have found this information helpful, please let the attorney know by marking best answer. Thank you. This participating Attorney does not warrant any information provided, nor are we creating an Attorney-Client relationship by providing said information to you on this site. Nothing contained herein is intended to constitute, offer, induce, promise, or contract of any kind. The content provided is presented as a courtesy to be used only for informational purposes and is not represented to be error free. The Law Offices of John N. Kitta makes no representations or warranties of any kind with respect to its answer to inquiries, and such representations and warranties are being expressly disclaimed. Given limited facts, we are attempting to share relevant information concerning this area of the law as a public service.


Yes, that certainly sounds like an exempt purpose activity, however, make sure that such is allowed as per your Articles and Bylaws and also make sure to report the "new" activity on your current year's Form 990 if you are required to file such.


Yes, but keep in mind that there is a distinction between incorporating as a not-for-profit organization which either faith-based or secular organizations can do, and gaining an additional 501-c-3 exemption as a "public charity" from the IRS where contributions from donors are tax exempt.

Usually, these are granted only to traditional organizations ministering to the poor and providing educational and medical services (traditional charities, if you will), although there are exceptions. You will have to go through an additional lengthy and detailed process with the IRS to gain this "recognition" of your charitable status and file annual tax returns known as Form 990s or lose the exemption.

Many people confuse these two kinds of entities, but it's easy to be a not-for-profit corporation and harder to get the IRS exemption. Teaching "fire safety to children" may or may not fall within IRS guidelines, depending on the Form 1065 application you file and how they rule on it. It may or may not be worth it for you to go this extra step to make the donations deductible as charitable contributions, get a break on bulk mailing postage, but subject any possible employee salaries, contracts or compensation to IRS scrutiny, and (unlike private taxpayers) have your Form 990 financials available online through organizations such as There's also a significant annual accounting cost associated with hiring a CPA to do the Form 990 returns.

This answer is provided under the “Terms and Conditions of Use” (“ToU”), particularly ¶9 which states that any information provided is not intended as legal advice or to create an attorney-client relationship between you and me or any other attorney. Such information is intended for general informational purposes only and should be used only as a starting point for addressing your legal issues. In particular, my answers and those of others are not a substitute for an in-person or telephone consultation with an attorney licensed to practice in your jurisdiction about your specific legal issue, and you should not rely solely upon Legal Information you obtain from this website or other resources which may be linked to an answer for informational purposes. You understand that questions and answers or other postings to the Site are not confidential and are not subject to attorney-client privilege. The full Avvo ToU are set forth at . In addition, while similar legal principles often apply in many states, I am only licensed to practice in the State of New York and Federal Courts. Any general information I provide about non-New York laws should be checked with an attorney licensed to practice in your State. Lastly, New York State Court rules (22 NYCRR Part 1200, Rule 7.1) also require me to inform you that my answers and attorney profile posted on the site may be considered "attorney advertising" and that "prior results do not guarantee a similar outcome".

Jack Richard Lebowitz

Jack Richard Lebowitz


p.s. There may not even be a need to have a separate NFP corporation to accomplish this mission. Plenty of churches support community activities such as soup kitchens, habitat building projects, AA/NA chapters, scouts, etc. without the need to form a separate corporation and usually churches are tax-exempt and not-for-profit to begin with. Do you really need a separate corporation. You probably already have as part of your mission teaching children to avoid the fires of Hell. :-)

Business topics

Recommended articles about Business

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer