Can a non-involved person obtain a criminal police report about someone else? Or can atty tell me what happened?

San Francisco, CA |

A family member was arrested & his story of what happened doesn't match up w/ the initial charges at all. He plead no contest to 2 of 5 charges & made a deal & is now serving jail time. He has a history of lying even about unimportant things. The rest of the family would like to know what happened.

Can I order a copy of the police report?
Unfortunately we do not know where it happened except to say all proceedings were in San Francisco. Nor do we know the exact date of arrest, which department/precinct or police report number. Even if I had this info, would they even send it to me since I am not an involved party?

Would it be inappropriate to ask the PD or DA to send us a copy of the initial police report or directly tell me basics of what happened?

PD did not return my phone call. May have been instructed by family member not to talk to us.

1. I am not surprised that the PD did not return your call. He/she is not your lawyer and would not be serving the client by talking with you. The prosecutor may be willing to tell you where you can get a copy of the police report. If you go to the court where he was convicted, you should be able to get a copy of the criminal complaint. A "probable cause" portion of that complaint will usually contain information about what the police thought happened and tell you which jurisdiction was involved.

If any answer on AVVO helps you, mine or someone else’s, please mark it as "helpful" or "best answer" to help AVVO know which answers to show others.

Thank you.

--- Experienced Criminal Defense Lawyer in Madison, Dane County, Wisconsin
    http://addbalance.com

--- Facebook Page
    http://www.facebook.com/CriminalDefenseMadTown

--- Talking to the Police - Advice from Lawyers and Police
    http://addbalance.com/police.htm

--- Miranda Rights (and Wrongs)
    http://addbalance.com/miranda_rights.htm

DISCLAIMER:

Confidential information should not be disclosed in this Internet forum.

I am an experienced Wisconsin criminal defense lawyer practicing in Madison (Dane County) Wisconsin. The laws in each jurisdiction can be very different. I cannot give legal advice over the Internet nor can I establish an attorney client relationship with you.

If something I say disagrees with what your own lawyer is telling you, you should rely on your lawyer who is familiar with you, your entire case, the local courts and practices.

Most questions are just better handled by an attorney familiar with the procedures of the courts in your area. Few, if any, legal matters should be handled via Internet communication. If you cannot afford an attorney, there should be agencies in your area that can provide discounted, or even free, legal services.

This AVVO Answer is provided for general educational purposes only.

Click on the “more” link below for more important information about the answer and AVVO.

Confidential information should not be disclosed in this Internet forum. Click on the "More..." link for IMPORTANT INFORMATION about this AVVO Answer. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . I am an experienced Wisconsin lawyer. The laws in each jurisdiction can be very different. I cannot give legal advice over the internet nor can I establish an attorney client relationship with you. You should NOT assume or otherwise conclude that there is an attorney -client relationship between any reader and this writer or his firm. These comments are only guideposts. They are not subject to any privilege protections. Indeed, these internet communications are neither privileged nor confidential. Accordingly, those using this form of communication need to be guarded in what they write. Because of the nature of these communications the information is general only and should not be relied upon in any specific case. This internet site is public forum, where the communications are not confidential or privileged. There may very well be merit to your defense or position in this type of situation. However, there are hardly sufficient details for an attorney to provide you with some path to follow. It is imperative that ALL of the facts in a particular situation be examined. No conclusion can be drawn from the communication that you have provided. There are some matters that are just better handled by an attorney familiar with the procedures of the courts in your area. Most, if not all, legal matters should not be handled via internet communication. At best, the responders on this site can give you a few hints and guidance. To deal with a legal problem, nothing is better than to consult with a lawyer who will give you some time and advice. If you cannot afford an attorney, there should be agencies in your area that can provide discounted, or even free, legal services. For a definitive answer you should seek legal advice from an attorney who (1) is licensed to practice in the state which has jurisdiction; (2) has experience in the area of law you are asking about, and (3) has been retained as your attorney for representation or consultation. Your question and the attorney’s answer may be used for promotional or educational purposes.

2. I agree with Attorney Kenyon's very able response to your question. As neither he nor I are licensed in CA, see what local counsel advise on this issue.

3. No you cannot order a copy of the report - you are a "non involved" party, so you don't get one. The PD is not going to talk to you yet if the case hasn't gone to court. Hire an attorney, who can get a copy of the report, and perhaps he/she will speak to you about the case (but most certainly can't give you a copy of the report).

Mr. Feasel is a former prosecutor in San Mateo County (CA) with over 10 years of criminal law experience. Nothing stated on this site shall in anyway be construed as legal advice, or as creating any attorney/client relationship. If you would like to hire Mr. Feasel to further investigate your situation, feel free to contact him thru this site.