Skip to main content

Can a non custodian father stop name change of minor children prompted by custodian mother?

Altamonte Springs, FL |

I was divorced from my wife in June 2007. At that time custody of our three children were haded to the mother as them being minor. The mother has filed a motion in the family court to change minor's middle and last names which bears my first and last name against my wish. Can such a motion be approved? How can I defend for not allowing name changes?

I reside in Florida and the petitioner with children live in New Jersey. The case has been filed in New Jersey.

Attorney Answers 1

  1. I am unsure of the what the law is in New Jersey, but in Florida both birth parents would have to consent to such a name change.

    Your best bet would be to consult with a family law attorney in New Jersey where the petition was filed.