Can a non custodial parent give up their parental rights (and stop paying child support)??

Asked over 1 year ago - Fort Collins, CO

The non-custodial parent has not taken his parenting time in almost 4 years, has not followed court orders of going to counseling with the kids and owes a LOT of money in unpaid support. He takes no responsibility or blame for his decision to be a non-existent parent. Now, the kids want to change their last names to mine (which it says they can do in our divorce decree) but he is having a lawyer look at the name paperwork to see if he should "just try to give up all his rights". He doesn't want to pay child support and apparently thinks he can just "give up" his rights and not have to do that any more. I thought that he can't do that and especially just decide that he shouldn't have to pay.

Attorney answers (3)

  1. Christopher Daniel Leroi

    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . No. He can not voluntarily terminate his parental rights without your permission and the court's permission. You can not involuntarily terminate his parental rights without the court's permission. As a former judge, in either case, the Court is going to want someone waiting in the wings to adopt the child. The court wants to make sure that child support is being paid and that the child had a father in his life - even if the father is a deadbeat.

    The information provided in this answer does not create an attorney-client relationship. If you are interested in... more
  2. Stephen Clark Harkess

    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . He cannot terminate his parental rights (and responsibilities) over your objection. No judge will approve that. It is unlikely that he could relinquish his rights even with your agreement unless there was someone else looking to step in and adopt the children.

    You can reach Harkess & Salter LLC at (303) 531-5380 or Stephen Harkess is an attorney... more
  3. A J. Williams


    Contributor Level 15


    Lawyers agree


    Answered . You would be correct. Oh how many "parents" wish they could do that! On the other hand, you could likely move forward to have his right terminated, but that would be to no end. He isn't participating anyway. Don't allow him to push you emotionally. Just take a breath and realize how poor of a dad he is. Thank goodness he isn't involved.

Related Topics

Father's rights in child custody

Father's rights refers to the parental rights of the father, primarily child custody and visitation rights. Fathers sometimes also need to establish paternity.

Mother's rights in child custody

Mother's rights covers the parental rights of the mother. These rights primarily relate to child custody, visitation, and child support.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

30,527 answers this week

3,407 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

30,527 answers this week

3,407 attorneys answering