Can a non-compete agreement regarding former students and large monetary compensation be upheld?

I'm a musical theatre teacher and I once taught a class for a company and one of the students approached me asking to take private classes (I did not solicit and the focus of the class is entirely different than that of private lessons). I've been teaching the child ever since and the company would like to hire me again, asking that I sign a non-compete agreement in action for an unspecified amount of time and radius that will prohibit me from communicating with any current or PAST students of the company. If I violate this, they demand 10,000 dollars. I did not solicit the student and she hated the other class she took there. She simply did not like the other teacher. Could they pursue this? Also, what if other students I teach are past clients and I just don't know about it?

New York, NY -

Arthur H. Forman

Arthur H. Forman

Contracts / Agreements Lawyer - Flushing, NY

I don't see how you would be competing. They don't lose anything by you giving lessons to a former student. That said, it is always risky to sign a non-compete. You should insist that you be able to have an attorney review it before you agree to sign.

Brendan James Gilbert

Brendan James Gilbert

Business Attorney - Buffalo, NY

Can it? Yes. New York takes a dim view of non-competes, but it does not statutorily ban or cripple them as some other states do.
Will it? A question for your attorney.

Marco Caviglia

Marco Caviglia

Personal Injury Lawyer - Poughkeepsie, NY

If you agree to this, then yes, they will be able to collect the $10,000 liquidated damages. But why not simply negotiate a clause in the contract that exempts past students and/or ones you already have from the past? All they can say is no, and you are no worse off than now and have to decide if you want to give up these past students. Consult an attorney to review the contract, though, inlcuding the clause you want to modify or eliminate.

James Andrew Mcglynn

James Andrew Mcglynn

Business Attorney - Bethpage, NY

you should review this with an attorney. The provisions may not be permissible, and the attorney will probably be able instert lanuage that keeps you in complainance and protects the company The music company may have not used an attorney either.

Edwin Drantivy

Edwin Drantivy

Business Attorney - Brooklyn, NY

Have an employment attorney review it before you sign. He/she will notice any excessive provisions.

R. Russell O'Rourke

R. Russell O'Rourke

Business Attorney - Cleveland, OH

You really should consult an attorney and take the agreement with you. Whether it is actually enforceable, they could still sue you. My suggestion is that if you decide you want to work for them again and you want to continue giving lessons to others, that you at least include a list of names that are exempted from the agreement. Again, an attorney should do this for you. Look for a business attorney here on Avvo. Look at their profiles and what they have written and what areas they practice in before you decide to call one.

Related Advice