Skip to main content

Can a non-citizen fight for custody of a child?

San Juan, TX |

My friends husband is accusing her of mistreating their daughter and had a judge sign a warrent for them to take their daughter away from her. He owes child support for the little girl and convinced my friend to marry him so that he wouldnt have to pay, but now that she no longer wants to be with him he took the liitle girl away. She is not a legal resident of the United States and wants her daughter back. Is it possible for her to fight for custody of her daughter? If so, where can she go for help? She only has until the 19th of Feb. to get help for she is due in court then.

Attorney Answers 1


Legal status and parental rights have nothing to do with each other. Your friend needs to hire a law firm experienced with family issues, to help her with this situation.

Mark as helpful

Child custody topics

Recommended articles about Child custody

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics