Can a non borrowing spouse be sued for foreclosure when she isnt on the mortgage just the deed?

Asked over 1 year ago - Ocala, FL

I moved out of the home over a year ago and was served a summons for forecloser on my husbands home. my name isnt on the mortage just on the deed. if i file a quick deed release will this help?

Attorney answers (4)

  1. Tyler Daniel Brown

    Contributor Level 8


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . You are being sued because you're on the deed but they cannot seek any money judgment from you as you're not on the promissory note. I would speak to a local real estate attorney before deciding whether or not to take any action.

    The advice above is not intended to be legal advice
  2. Natalie F Guerra-Valdes

    Contributor Level 13


    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . You have an interest in the property because your name is on the deed. This is why the bank named you as a defendant in the action. If you name is not on the note, the bank cannot seek a money judgment against you.

    Natalie Guerra-Valdes

    The hiring of a lawyer is an important decision that should not be based solely upon advertisements. The... more
  3. Matthew Scott Berkus

    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . Yes. you are being served BECAUSE you are on the deed. The bank needs to notify anyone who has any sort of recorded interest in the property.

  4. Michael Patrick Fuino

    Contributor Level 8

    Answered . Because you are on the deed, you are (one of) the owners of the property and are therefore what's known as an "indispensable party" to the foreclosure lawsuit that was filed. I would recommend that you contact a licensed Florida attorney who practices foreclosure defense to ensure that you have incurred no personal liability with respect to the mortgage and to see what rights and remedies are available to you.

    Michael P. Fuino, Esq.
    Associate, Matthew D. Weidner, P.A.
    (727) 894-3159

    This answer is for informational purposes only and should not be construed, in any way, as the acceptance of... more

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

28,178 answers this week

3,078 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

28,178 answers this week

3,078 attorneys answering