Can a non-attorney start a global law firm franchise? Is there a legal way to do this and what needs to be done if so?

I want to start a global law firm franchise but I need to know if I can do this or do I have to partner with an Attorney, or what is an alternative if need be?

1. In the United States it is prohibited. Every state requires a member/partner/shareholder to be an attorney. You would need to ask attorneys in other countries if there are similar prohibitions.

Call (973) 694 4408 for a free consultation. Proven results, no gimmicks. www.bolegal.com The advice contained in this answer is based upon the information provided. It does not constitute our acceptance of representation nor does it provide any guaranty of results.

2. What you describe is a common and successful business structure in Great Britain where the firm often includes American attorneys and law firms.

My responses to questions on Avvo are never intended as legal advice and must not be relied upon as legal advice. I give legal advice only in the course of an attorney-client relationship. Exchange of information through Avvo's Questions forum does not establish an attorney-client relationship with me. That relationship is established only by individual consultation and execution of a written agreement for legal services.

3. As a franchise attorney , helping companies structure and franchise a business concept as well as advising individuals, as a franchise expert, on making franchise investments I agree with my colleagues.

What you need to consider, if this is going to take place in the U.S., is going to law school and passing the bar exam.

There are also a myriad of other issues to consider, especially international law ones, for a "global" law firm.

If you get past the first hurdle, consult with qualified franchise experts that have international experience.

Good luck!

Kevin B. Murphy, B.S., M.B.A., J.D.
    Franchise Attorney & Franchise Expert
    Director of Operations - Mr. Franchise
    FRANCHISE FOUNDATIONS APC

4. The US legal system has strict UPL regulations that have been enacted in each US State and Territory. The local bar association will have on its website the specific rules related to unauthorized practice and the civil and criminal penalities when UPL exisits.

Legal disclaimer: The statement above is provided by CC Abbott is based on general assistance and not intended to be a legal opinion because not all the facts are provided. The person requesting information and all others reading the answer should retain an attorney who is permitted by the state bar within the jurisdiction who can examine the complete facts and provide a legal opinion on your case. All information provided in the above answer and other information provided by CC Abbott does not create an attorney/client relationship within any state of Federal law.

5. Generally the answer s no. It would be considered the unauthorized practice of law.

Business topics