Can a non-attorney start a global law firm franchise? Is there a legal way to do this and what needs to be done if so?

Asked about 1 year ago - Los Angeles, CA

I want to start a global law firm franchise but I need to know if I can do this or do I have to partner with an Attorney, or what is an alternative if need be?

1. Kevin Brendan Murphy

Pro

Answered . As a franchise attorney , helping companies structure and franchise a business concept as well as advising individuals, as a franchise expert, on making franchise investments I agree with my colleagues.

What you need to consider, if this is going to take place in the U.S., is going to law school and passing the bar exam.

There are also a myriad of other issues to consider, especially international law ones, for a "global" law firm.

If you get past the first hurdle, consult with qualified franchise experts that have international experience.

Good luck!

Kevin B. Murphy, B.S., M.B.A., J.D.
    Franchise Attorney & Franchise Expert
    Director of Operations - Mr. Franchise
    FRANCHISE FOUNDATIONS APC

2. Michael A Orozco

3

1

Answered . In the United States it is prohibited. Every state requires a member/partner/shareholder to be an attorney. You would need to ask attorneys in other countries if there are similar prohibitions.

3. Christine C McCall

Pro

1

1

Answered . What you describe is a common and successful business structure in Great Britain where the firm often includes American attorneys and law firms.

4. Tareq Mitri Hishmeh

Answered . Generally the answer s no. It would be considered the unauthorized practice of law.

5. C. C. Abbott

1

1

Answered . The US legal system has strict UPL regulations that have been enacted in each US State and Territory. The local bar association will have on its website the specific rules related to unauthorized practice and the civil and criminal penalities when UPL exisits.