Can a non-attorney start a global law firm franchise? Is there a legal way to do this and what needs to be done if so?

Asked about 2 years ago - Los Angeles, CA

I want to start a global law firm franchise but I need to know if I can do this or do I have to partner with an Attorney, or what is an alternative if need be?

Attorney answers (5)

  1. Answered . As a franchise attorney , helping companies structure and franchise a business concept as well as advising individuals, as a franchise expert, on making franchise investments I agree with my colleagues.

    What you need to consider, if this is going to take place in the U.S., is going to law school and passing the bar exam.

    There are also a myriad of other issues to consider, especially international law ones, for a "global" law firm.

    If you get past the first hurdle, consult with qualified franchise experts that have international experience.

    Good luck!

    Kevin B. Murphy, B.S., M.B.A., J.D.
    Franchise Attorney & Franchise Expert
    Director of Operations - Mr. Franchise

  2. 3

    Lawyers agree


    Answered . In the United States it is prohibited. Every state requires a member/partner/shareholder to be an attorney. You would need to ask attorneys in other countries if there are similar prohibitions.

    Call (973) 694 4408 for a free consultation. Proven results, no gimmicks. The advice contained... more
  3. 1

    Lawyer agrees


    Answered . What you describe is a common and successful business structure in Great Britain where the firm often includes American attorneys and law firms.

    My responses to questions on Avvo are never intended as legal advice and must not be relied upon as legal advice.... more
  4. Answered . Generally the answer s no. It would be considered the unauthorized practice of law.

  5. 1

    Lawyer agrees


    Answered . The US legal system has strict UPL regulations that have been enacted in each US State and Territory. The local bar association will have on its website the specific rules related to unauthorized practice and the civil and criminal penalities when UPL exisits.

    Legal disclaimer: The statement above is provided by CC Abbott is based on general assistance and not intended to... more

Related Topics

Franchise small business

A franchise is a type of business in which the operator leases the right to use another firm’s brand and business model.

Tariq Ahmad Zafar

Buying a Franchise

Buying a franchise can be an immensely profitable business opportunity. You can sell goods and services that have instant name recognition, and get training and support that can help you... more


Business law covers topics such as business structures, common documents, business taxes and finances, insurance, real estate, and government regulations.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

33,190 answers this week

3,690 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

33,190 answers this week

3,690 attorneys answering