Can a Non-Accredited Rep give suggestions re: eligibility of VA Aid & Attendance Benefits based on Accredited Agent's advice?

Santa Ana, CA |

I would like to know if this is legal or illegal...

If a Non-Accredited Representative work with pension benefit clients (VA Aid & Attendance Benefits) and give suggestions to clients as to the eligibility requirements based on the VA Accredited Claims Agent’s advice, do I need to be accredited?

Additional notes: However, the VA Accredited Claims Agent gives advice to the employees on what to tell the clients and prepares the application for the Clients (not the employees preparing the application).

1. At a minimum, you cannot receive a fee if you are not accredited.

2. I think you are in a murky area here. By being non-accredited, if you pass on bad advice, I'll guess the accredited rep who gave you that advice is not going to stand up and say oops - it was my fault. And, the VA will not likely look favorably on that situation.

I would recommend deferring questions that require advice to the accredited rep or getting accredited in your own name.

Hope that helps!

The exact answers to questions like this require more information than presented. The answer(s) provided should be considered general information. The information provided by this is general advice, and is not legal advice. Viewing this information is not intended to create, and does not constitute, an attorney-client relationship. It is intended to educate the reader and a more definite answer should be based on a consultation with a lawyer. You should not take any action that might affect your claim without first seeking the professional opinion of an attorney. You should consult an attorney who can can ask all the appropriate questions and give legal advice based on the exact facts of your situation. The general information provided here does not create an attorney-client relationship.

Military law topics