Can a no fault divorce be contested on the basis of a pre nuptial not incorporated into the divorce papers? Can alimony be still

East Meadow, NY |

claimed despite of a pre-nuptial in case of a no fault divorce in NY?

Most likely it can, doesn't mean it will.

Attorney Williams practices FAMILY LAW throughout the State of California and may be reached at (831) 233-3558 and offers free consultations. The response provided in this forum is not intended to create an attorney-client relationship. The information offered in this response is for general informational purposes only and should not be relied upon without further consultation with a legal professional after all relevant facts are disclosed and considered. DANIEL S. WILLIAMS, ESQ. LAW OFFICES OF DANIEL S. WILLIAMS 500 LIGHTHOUSE AVENUE, STE. A MONTEREY, CA 93940 (831) 233-3558 -- OFFICE (831) 233-3560 -- FAX

What are you talking about Mr. Williams? The divorce being contested or the alimony or pre-nup being claimed together?

Daniel Seth Williams

Daniel Seth Williams

Both.

Thanks!

Daniel Seth Williams

Daniel Seth Williams

No problem, if this was helpful please indicate so by the helpful or best option, and don't forget my colleague Ms. Saei.

I suppose it could. As my colleague stated, my answer does not suggest that it will.

Daniel Seth Williams

Daniel Seth Williams

I agree with counsel, anything can be claimed in Court, but doesn't mean it will stick.

New York does not technically have "no fault" divorce. New York has "irretrievable breakdown" which is very similar to no fault but not exactly the same thing. If a proposed judgment of divorce does not account for a prenuptial agreement, the divorce can be contested. Alimony, or maintenance as it is now known, can still be sought despite the existence of a prenuptial agreement that prohibits such payments.

These are VERY simple answers to complex questions and the ultimate outcome of your case will depend on the facts of your particular situation. I would recommend that you contact a local matrimonial attorney.

It is always advisable to contact an attorney. For a consultation, please contact my office at 516-669-3295. We are located in West Babylon, NY and proudly offer very low rates and free consultations. <a href="http://www.LouisLSternbergLaw.com">Please visit us on the web.</a>

Pre-nuptial agreements, (also called ante-nuptial agreements), are most often used when parties have significant assets. As a result, you'll find a great deal of litigation history and "case-law" on the subject.

Your question isn't entirely clear, but I'm guessing that the divorce is still pending, and the pre-nuptial was not mentioned in the petition? Either way, the listing of the pre-nuptial agreement really isn't the issue. The issue will be whether or not the agreement was valid and enforceable as executed. Case law in different states will discuss the timing of the request for an antenuptial agreement, the timing of the execution, the comparative sophistication levels of the parties, whether or not both parties had independent counsel, etc.

Meet with a qualified domestic attorney, and bring a copy of the agreement with you. Also, spend some time on google, looking at articles written about the enforceability of antenuptial agreements in New York.

Good luck

This advice is based upon limited and hypothetical circumstances. For an answer that is specific to your situation, please consult an attorney. The answering of this question does not create an attorney/client relationship, and the poster should seek additional information from qualified legal counsel. Many attorneys, like ours, offer no-cost consultations.