Can a new landlord/owner of an apartment building request tenants to pay an additional amount for the security deposit

Asked almost 6 years ago - Rice Lake, WI

My apartment building has recently been sold. The new owner has requested that I pay an additional $250 security deposit for potential clean up and unpaid utilities if and when I move out. When I moved in there over 1 year ago...I paid a one month security deposit. The new owner claims that is for my last months rent when I give notice. No one else in the 4-plex has been asked to pay this additional security deposit but me. I'm a 24 year old single guy. Please advise.

1. Scott Roberts Weaver

Pro

Answered . First of all, look at the statute below. Secondly, review your lease. You should be able to answer your question with the statute and your lease. That said, if your lease term has expired, a landlord can ask you for additional security monies when negotiating a new lease. Email me if you have further questions AFTER reviewing your lease and the statute. Scott sweaver@jbsl.com

59.18.260. Moneys paid as deposit or security for performance by tenant--Written rental agreement to specify terms and conditions for retention by landlord--Written checklist required

If any moneys are paid to the landlord by the tenant as a deposit or as security for performance of the tenant's obligations in a lease or rental agreement, the lease or rental agreement shall be in writing and shall include the terms and conditions under which the deposit or portion thereof may be withheld by the landlord upon termination of the lease or rental agreement. If all or part of the deposit may be withheld to indemnify the landlord for damages to the premises for which the tenant is responsible, the rental agreement shall be in writing and shall so specify. No deposit may be collected by a landlord unless the rental agreement is in writing and a written checklist or statement specifically describing the condition and cleanliness of or existing damages to the premises and furnishings, including, but not limited to, walls, floors, countertops, carpets, drapes, furniture, and appliances, is provided by the landlord to the tenant at the commencement of the tenancy. The checklist or statement shall be signed and dated by the landlord and the tenant, and the tenant shall be provided with a copy of the signed checklist or statement. No such deposit shall be withheld on account of normal wear and tear resulting from ordinary use of the premises.