Can a new car purchase be considered as business tax write off?

90245 |

I am thinking to purchase a Tesla all electric car. It cost around $75k. If I for example make $130k a year, can I write off the full 75k for business tax write off?
Also since its all electric, uncle Sam is giving a $7500 tax credit but I am asking if its use for my business, can I write of the whole 75k from my income since its a new car?

1. You need an accountant not a lawyer.

2. You can deduct the percentage of your automobile used for business within the limits set forth by the tax law. See IRS publication 463 at www.irs.gov for information on such. Also, note that commuting expenses (driving to and from work) is NOT deductible. If you can afford a Tesla, you can afford to hire a CPA competent to handle this for you. Good luck.

This answer is provided for general information only. You should seek advice from an attorney or tax professional.

3. As mentioned by colleagues above, whether the entire amount is or is nor subject to deduction, whether by IRS code section 179 depreciation allowance or otherwise, is a CPA question with whom you need to consult with. Good Luck

In addition to AVVO's disclaimer, please note that by this answer no attorney client relationship is intended mor entered into and unless there is a signed retainer agreement in place, neither me nor anyone in our office has intended to solicit clients nor reprints them. The answers are general in nature and without weighing specifics of particular query. No answer should be relied on in whole or in part, directly or otherwise to act or not to act in pursue of any of your potential claims in law or equity. You should consult with and obtain advise or representation of an attorney to protect your rights regarding your case or matter.

Vehicle title topics