Can a neighbor prevent me from building a well on property I have owned for over 6 years and now intend onbulding ahouse..

Asked over 1 year ago - Huntingdon, PA

I have 2 acres of land... I now want to build a house... I would need to drill a well and also
have septic included... its in a small community...

1. Robert John Carey

Pro

4

Answered . So long as there are no deed restrictions against your land, and you meet all the municipal requirements, you should only need a permit to build. But, the neighbor may still file an appeal to the issuance of the permt which may hold things up a bit and become expensive.

2. Dotty Elaine Lemieux

4

Answered . If your zoning permits it, the well is not going to cause any issues for a downhill neighbor, or take water from a riparian stream or deplete groundwater and is not located within 100 feet of the septic tank, you should be able to do it. All this will depend on many factors, and generally the neighbors have a right to weigh in on the subject at a publicly noticed hearing. Are you concerned about one neighbor in particular? Are other neighbors on wells? Is there City water available? Without knowing more and not being a licensed attorney in your state, it's impossible to answer this question any more specifically.

3. Brandy Ann Peeples

Pro

2

Answered . So long as you're zoned residential, meet the minimum lot size required by your zoning ordinance n your zone, and comply with any local subdivision regulations (including proper setbacks, etc.), you should be within your rights to build a house on your lot. You'd have to have proper well and septic permits too.