Can a name change be made on a Purchase Agreement using an addendum?

Asked over 1 year ago - San Diego, CA

I am selling a home in San Diego Ca. and the buyer is purchasing it under his company name. Now that we are about to close escrow, the buyer is asking to change the name using an addendum. Is this legal? Does it change the terms of the original contract at all? Anything I need to look out for?

Attorney answers (3)

  1. Shaun K. Boss

    Contributor Level 14


    Lawyers agree


    Answered . You can use an addendum to effect the change in the identity of the Buyer, however, it would probably be easier just to do an amended escrow instruction.

    This answer does not constitue legal advice, nor does it creat an attorney/client relationship. If you are... more
  2. Michael T Millar


    Contributor Level 19


    Lawyers agree


    Best Answer
    chosen by asker

    Answered . You can use an addendum to change the identity of the buyer - but you must also notify your title company so that they can perform searches under that name.

    If this answer was helpful, please mark it as helpful or as a best answer. This answer is for general education... more
  3. Frank Wei-Hong Chen

    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyers agree


    Answered . Yes, the name of the buyer can be changed using an addendum to the purchase agreement, and an amendment to the escrow instructions so that the escrow company can prepare a new grant deed with the correct vesting information. It does not otherwise change the terms of the original contract.

    Frank W. Chen has been licensed to practice law in California since 1988. The information presented here is... more

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

27,459 answers this week

2,999 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

27,459 answers this week

2,999 attorneys answering