Can a Muslim man have two wife's, one in the states and other back home? Can there be any action the first (wife in the US)take?

Asked over 2 years ago - New York, NY

My husband has been threatening me of remarrying, not sure whether in the US or not. But knowing him he will play it safe by not doing it in the US. Would there be anything I can do if he does this?? And keeps the second wife not here till things calm down.

1. 3

4

Answered . If he is a US citizen, domiciled in the US, he cannot legally have more than one wife. If there are other pertinent facts to the scenario you've mentioned above, then the answer will depend upon those other facts.

2. 1

Answered . Bigamy is a felony in New York.

3. 1

Answered . What is his status in this country? Can you prove that he has remarried as opposed to someone living with another as husband and wife? In New York...

§ 255.15 Bigamy.
    A person is guilty of bigamy when he contracts or purports to contract
    a marriage with another person at a time when he has a living spouse, or
    the other person has a living spouse.
    Bigamy is a class E felony.