Can a Muslim man have two wife's, one in the states and other back home? Can there be any action the first (wife in the US)take?

Asked over 2 years ago - New York, NY

My husband has been threatening me of remarrying, not sure whether in the US or not. But knowing him he will play it safe by not doing it in the US. Would there be anything I can do if he does this?? And keeps the second wife not here till things calm down.

Attorney answers (3)

  1. 3

    Lawyers agree


    Answered . If he is a US citizen, domiciled in the US, he cannot legally have more than one wife. If there are other pertinent facts to the scenario you've mentioned above, then the answer will depend upon those other facts.

    Ms. Brown may be reached at 718-878-6886 during regular business hours, or anytime by email at: marykatherinebrown@... more
  2. 1

    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . Bigamy is a felony in New York.

  3. 1

    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . What is his status in this country? Can you prove that he has remarried as opposed to someone living with another as husband and wife? In New York...

    § 255.15 Bigamy.
    A person is guilty of bigamy when he contracts or purports to contract
    a marriage with another person at a time when he has a living spouse, or
    the other person has a living spouse.
    Bigamy is a class E felony.

    All answers are for information purposes only. Answering this question or any future questions does not form any... more

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

33,092 answers this week

3,683 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

33,092 answers this week

3,683 attorneys answering