Can a Muslim man have two wife's, one in the states and other back home? Can there be any action the first (wife in the US)take?

New York, NY |

My husband has been threatening me of remarrying, not sure whether in the US or not. But knowing him he will play it safe by not doing it in the US. Would there be anything I can do if he does this?? And keeps the second wife not here till things calm down.

If he is a US citizen, domiciled in the US, he cannot legally have more than one wife. If there are other pertinent facts to the scenario you've mentioned above, then the answer will depend upon those other facts.

Ms. Brown may be reached at 718-878-6886 during regular business hours, or anytime by email at: marykatherinebrown@hotmail.com. All of Ms. Brown’s responses to questions posted on AVVO are intended as general information based upon the facts stated in the question, and are provided for educational purposes of the public, not any specific individual, and her response to the question above is not legal advice and it does not create an attorney-client relationship. Ms. Brown is licensed to practice law in New York. If you would like to obtain specific legal advice about this issue, you must contact an attorney who is licensed to practice law in your state.

Bigamy is a felony in New York.

What is his status in this country? Can you prove that he has remarried as opposed to someone living with another as husband and wife? In New York...

§ 255.15 Bigamy.
A person is guilty of bigamy when he contracts or purports to contract
a marriage with another person at a time when he has a living spouse, or
the other person has a living spouse.
Bigamy is a class E felony.

All answers are for information purposes only. Answering this question or any future questions does not form any attorney-client relationship. Be mindful, that answers are limited by the limited facts presented by the questioner and are not meant to take the place of competent legal advice by an attorney fully informed of all the facts surrounding your case. However, be aware that nothing posted in a public forum such as this can be deemed confidential or privileged communication. For a privileged private consultation, contact me at 212-385-8600 or via my website www.reasonabledoubtny.com