Can a mother deny the child's father visitation when they have a joint custody?

Asked almost 5 years ago - Columbus, GA

My husband is active duty army and has been in Korea for the past 13 months. He recently went on leave to see his daughter, but his ex-wife is denying him his visitation rights even though they have joint custody. What can he do legally to see his daughter?

Attorney answers (2)

  1. Answered . I'm sorry to hear about your husband's problem. Best thing for him to do is contact a domestic relations attorney immediately to contact the ex and try to talk some sense into her. If she doesn't cooperate, then file a contempt action against her. The judge will enforce the agreement and order her to allow visitation. Good luck.

  2. Answered . Assuming all of this is occuring in Georgia, there probably is a visitation agreement. If the ex is violating the visitation agreement, he can file a action for contempt against her for violating the agreement.

    This response is for informational purposes only and may not be deemed to create an attorney client relationship. If you would like one of our family law attorneys to review the matter, please contact us in private.

Related Topics

Visitation rights in child custody agreements

Child visitation refers to non-custodial parents' rights to visit their children. These rights are commonly detailed in a visitation plan.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

33,900 answers this week

3,778 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

33,900 answers this week

3,778 attorneys answering