Can a money judgement (equalization) be held for past child support?

San Jose, CA |
Filed under: Child support arrears

I owe about 2,000 in arrears for Child support because it was ordered effective date of separation. There is a wage assignment now in place, why IDK because I was paying as ordered. My ex was ordered to pay me as part of the financial settlement. My ex's attorney has not filed any motion to hold this money and still will not release the funds. Is there a "Law" that allows my ex attorney to do this? Thanks

Seems like a relatively easy fix--perhaps just a couple of phone calls or a letter, so I'd recommend spending some money hiring an attorney (perhaps on a limited scope basis) to deal with this for you. The child support arrears may not even be proper based on the information you've provided.

If you found this answer helpful, let me know by clicking the "Mark as Helpful" button or "Best Answer" at the bottom of this answer. By answering this question, the Law Offices of Cathleen E. Norton does not intend to form an attorney-client relationship with the asking party. The answers posted on this website should not be construed as legal advice. The Law Offices of Cathleen E. Norton does not make any representations about your family law matter, but rather, seeks to provide general information to the public about family-law related matters. You should consult with an attorney to discuss the specific facts of your case. Thank you.

Thank you. Went to court on 6/13/2013, waiting for a court ruling.

Outside of court orders existing that you or I are aware of I can’t imagine how opposing counsel would be able to hold your settlement funds. Unfortunately, the only relief is for you to go back into the courtroom and take possession of the funds that were due and owing to you. Although if you take that action, probably it will prompt the attorney to file a motion to attach the funds past due for the child support.

If you have found this information helpful, please let the attorney know by marking best answer. Thank you. This participating Attorney does not warrant any information provided, nor are we creating an Attorney-Client relationship by providing said information to you on this site. Nothing contained herein is intended to constitute, offer, induce, promise, or contract of any kind. The content provided is presented as a courtesy to be used only for informational purposes and is not represented to be error free. The Law Offices of John N. Kitta makes no representations or warranties of any kind with respect to its answer to inquiries, and such representations and warranties are being expressly disclaimed. Given limited facts, we are attempting to share relevant information concerning this area of the law as a public service.

Went to court and hope the Judge is on the same page.

Child support topics

Recommended articles about Child support