Can a misdemeanor theft conviction prevent me from getting my medical residency and license in the state of NY

New York, NY |

In 1999, I was arrested and given three years of probation. I ultimately got a Class A misdemeanor on my record for petit theft. Since I am completed medical school and is applying for residency this year. Could this prevent me from ultimately getting a medical license in the State of New York? I was granted a certificate of civil disability.

It could prevent you form being getting your license if the examining board questions your character. If such an event occurs, my recommendation is that you obtain legal counsel to represent you in a fitness hearing.

Charles Oliver Wolff

Charles Oliver Wolff

it *could* but probably won't. There will be a "character and fitness" interview and if you come clean, a ten year old petit larceny would have little bearing on your present situation, if you have remained free of further offenses and have a good school record. Just don't lie about anything, they will give you a chance to explain. They will care more about your honesty than a mistake you made ten years ago.