Can a misdemeanor battery charge be dropped for a first offense?

Asked over 1 year ago - Pensacola, FL

My Daughter is Autistic and OCD. She moved in with her Mother a couple months ago after not seeing her for 12 years. They got into an altercation and there was pushing , shoving and some hair pulling by both parties. None of which resulted in any injury or marks. Police were called and my 19 yr old was arrested. She had not taken medication for several months as I had instructed her Mother and advised her to seek a Doctor for prescriptions but, never did. Now this happens.

1. Roger Scott Jr.

Pro

Answered . You will need to hire an attorney to accomplish what you want

2. Brenda A Drake

Pro

Answered . It is possible for a charge like this to be dropped but it's completely within the state attorney's discretion. Even though that attorney will speak with the victim (mom) to see what she "wants" it is still up to the state whether or not to press ahead with the charges. It would be smart to hire an attorney who could talk to the state attorney before a filing decision is made.