Skip to main content

Can a minor self-enroll herself into high school without being legally declared emancipated for her mother?

Lexington, SC |

I am currently a minor (17 years of age) living in SC and have recently moved out of my mother's house into my grandmother's. She (mother) allowed me and even encouraged me to leave, seeing as how we have a strained relationship, but by doing so she also told me that I have to take complete responsibility over myself, concerning school and health-wise. I've done some research but all the results seem to point to being emancipated, something I know my mother with never agree to.

Attorney Answers 1

  1. Yes, you can.

    This post is authored by an attorney licensed in South Carolina and written only about South Carolina law. The law varies considerably from state to state. This site is for information purposes only and not intended as legal advice. Use of this site does not create an attorney-client relationship. The attorney-client relationship is only created by entering into a written contract for legal services.