Can a minor change their representative payee for their SSI payments if it is their own mother

Asked almost 6 years ago - Phoenix, AZ

Can a minor change their representative payee for their SSI payments if it is their own mother?
I'm helping out a woman whose daughter is 17, the minor requested a change to her representative payee to another individual. Does the mother have any rights? Doesn't the mother have to sign off on the change since she is the guardian/adult?

1. Michelle Rene Gottesman

Answered . Depending upon the circumstances, yes, a minor can change the rep payee.

I handled a child's claim where the judge recommended that someone outside the child's family be assigned as the rep payee because there was a strong history of substance abuse.

If the child has a valid reason with supporting documentation, the local office will certainly honor the request to protect the child's benefits. There are organizations that provide such a service for a small fee in the event there is no suitable rep payee available and willing to fulfill the obligations.