Skip to main content

Can a minor be compelled to testify without representation?

Fall River, MA |

15 year old girl witnessed the minutes after a murder, mother was told the minor would not have to testify and was only a small part of the investigation, now the child has been supeoaned. Mother is fearful of retaliation against her child.

Attorney Answers 3


Speak to the DA

Criminal Law (all misdemeanor & felonies in District and Superior Courts), Drunk Driving and Drug arrests, Sex Offenses, SORB, Crimes involving Violence or Theft, Domestic (Divorce, Child Custody, Alimony and Child Support) and Family Law (Modification, Contempts & Paternity), Juvenile Law, Domestic Violence and Restraining Orders, Business Law, Personal Injury claims, Probate Law (Guardianships, Conservatorships & Estate Administration) and Legal Malpractice. For these and other areas, contact me. NOTE: This preceding message DOES NOT create an attorney-client relationship. It is not a protected or confidential communication. The statements made herein are not to be interpreted as representations or warranties of any kind. No reliance should be placed on the statements made herein. It is recommended that the recipient(s) should undertake their own research to reach their own opinion. The writer does not accept professional responsibility on this matter. TO CREATE an attorney-client relationship REQUIRES a signed retainer/fee agreement along with a retainer fee that must be received by my office.

Mark as helpful

3 lawyers agree

1 comment

Henry Lebensbaum

Henry Lebensbaum


the short answer is YES


She will have to respond to the summons to testify. You can retain an attorney to protect her rights, but she would not be entitled to a court appointed one. Call the District Attorney's Office and speak with the victim witness advocate and the assistant district attorney handling the case.

This is not intended as legal advice and does not create an attorney-client relationship.

Mark as helpful

6 lawyers agree


Speak to the prosecutor's office about this. The child can be compelled to appear and to testify (or be held in contempt if they do not). Also, speak to your own attorney or ask for one at the trial.

Educational purposes answer. | | | | | Non-privileged answer.

Mark as helpful

1 lawyer agrees

Civil rights topics

Recommended articles about Civil rights

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics