Can a mental health facility just remove a person from all treatment, including medication, for no reason.

Asked over 1 year ago - Pueblo, CO

My daughter in law was taken off treatment when her therapist threatened to send her to a group home for not being able to make it to appts. I researched her just being taken off her meds and this could cause her to get worse. This place also has her on a payee who will not give her extra money for food, bills or anything else. My son has tried to get power of atty so they can meet the needs but the institution is fighting this. What can be done

Attorney answers (3)

  1. David Ian Schoen


    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . This question is probably best addressed by a health law attorney. I will edit the practice area so that one may respond.

  2. Christopher Daniel Leroi

    Contributor Level 20

    Answered . We would need many more facts and to review the actual documentation about diagnosis and treatment to answer this question correctly. I would suggest consulting with an attorney in the Pueblo area for a paid consultation. I refer everyone to Matthew Martin in the Pueblo area. He is an excellent attorney.

    The information provided in this answer does not create an attorney-client relationship. If you are interested in... more
  3. Josh P Tolin

    Contributor Level 19


    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . This is really not a malpractice issue as Mr Schoen has stated. If for some reason she has quantifiable damages that a physician would testify to because she was taken off her medications, that would potentially be a case. You should discuss with a health law attorney, and perhaps see if her doctor would agree to transfer her to a different facility.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

28,240 answers this week

3,382 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

28,240 answers this week

3,382 attorneys answering