Can a MA Police Officer be in any legal trouble for dating an Illegal Immigrant?

Beverly, MA |

I dont want to put him through any trouble with his PD. I know some lawyers like to use the "Harboring an Illegal" but I would not want to get him into any trouble for "looking the other way" when it came to my legal status. Is there Legally anything wrong with dating an Immigrant? I have an overstayed J-1 visa. thanks for the help

Should be fine.

The above is NOT legal advice, and is NOT intended to be legal advice. No Attorney-Client relationship is created through the above answer.

No! If each police officer who dates an "illegal immigrant" (I prefer "undocumented") would be in trouble for that then many cities and localities across this great nation would be left with dangerously low levels of police protection.

Kindly be advised that the answer above is only general in nature cannot be construed as legal advice, given that not enough facts are known. It is your responsibility to retain a lawyer to analyze the facts specific to your particular situation in order to give you specific advice. Specific answers will require cognizance of all pertinent facts about your case. Any answers offered on Avvo are of a general nature only, and are not meant to create an attorney-client relationship.

He should be fine. Don't worry. Good luck!

This answer is for informational purposes only and should not be construed as legal advice.

Aneliya M. Angelova

Aneliya M. Angelova

Your question was quite refreshing and made me smile!

No, it is not illegal to date an undocumented person.

Agarwal Law Offices 3 Dundee Park, B10 Andover, MA 01810 www.agarwaloffices.com This information is for informational and educational use only and does not establish an attorney-client relationship.

Last time I checked love Love is legal in the United States of America.

Mr. Asatrian's practice is dedicated to the area of immigration and nationality law. Please note the information provided herein does not constitute legal advice and should not be construed as such by anyone. It should not be relied upon as legal advice as more specific facts, research and analysis may be required to formulate a proper strategy and action in your matter. Please note this does not create an attorney-client relationship whatsoever. You should seek the assistance of an experienced immigration attorney to review your matter thoroughly and gather all of the necessary information and documentation to provide you with the best possible legal solution.

He should be OK

No. There is no law against dating or marrying an undocumented immigrant. Although, you should consult with an immigration attorney to discuss your options to potentially regain legal status.

The information provided is intended for informational purposes only and should not substitute for the advice and counsel of an attorney. This information does not constitute legal advice. We ask that you consult with a lawyer, as your facts are unique and because each situation requires analysis from many different perspectives. We cannot be responsible if you rely on information based on this website without the consultation of an attorney.

Police misconduct topics