Can a Louisiana attorney represent an Indiana divorce?

Pineville, LA |
Filed under: Divorce

I need advice on a Divorce and am living in La. right now. My husband and I have lived in Indiana for 7 years and have been married for 20 years. I left him in Indiana a week ago and am in need of my own attorney. Will one from here (Louisiana) be able to represent me in this matter?

only if the La lawyer knows Indiana law. otherwise, no one is doing you a favor if the divorce is in Indiana and Indiana law is what will be used.

Unless the Louisiana attorney is licensed in Indiana, they will not be able to represent you in Indiana proceedings.

If you are now domiciled in Louisiana a Louisiana attorney can file for divorce for you in Louisiana. If he has already filed in Indiana then the first filed case will be heard and the other one will not unless there are different issues.

Every situation is different and you should consult your own attorney to go over all the particular facts in your case. The answer given is only intended to provide general guidance regarding rights and responsibilities.

A Louisiana attorney may be able to get you a divorce in Louisiana, but nothing else because it is unlikely that a Louisiana court would have jurisdiction over your husband. For a 20 year marriage, you will want to consult with an attorney in the county in Indiana were you resided. You should contact the county bar association for advice and a referral.

Recommended articles about Divorce