Can a loan company keep calling you at work once you and your manager have asked them to stop?

San Antonio, TX |

I had taken out a few signature loans to rebuild my credit and ended ruining it more when i was unable to pay after the death of my grandmother and mother within 2 weeks of each other. The loan companies keep calling my job and have been asked not to call. I have sent the cease and desist letters as well asking for them not to contact me at work. I am on the verge of losing my job due to this. I have tried making payment arrangements with these companies but they are not willing to work with me. How or what can I do to keep them from calling my job.

1. Contact a consumer lawyer they are violating the FDCPA because of calling after work when they know they don't have permission.

The response given is not intended to create, nor does it create an ongoing duty to respond to questions. The response does not form an attorney-client relationship, nor is it intended to be anything other than the educated opinion of the author. It should not be relied upon as legal advice. The response given is based upon the limited facts provided by the person asking the question. To the extent additional or different facts exist, the response might possibly change. Attorney is licensed to practice law only in the State of Illinois. Responses are answers to general legal questions and the receiver of such question should consult a local attorney for specific answers to questions.

2. If possible, document all the dates and times calls were received at work, and what was said and who the caller was. This information will assist your lawyer in determining damages for violation of the law. Typically the law allows a certain damage amount for each violation. Each call is a violation, so the damages will mount as the calls continue. When you correspond with the lender, do so by certified mail, return receipt requested. You will then have proof they received your letters. Locate an attorney who specializes in debt collection issues, and provide as much information as you can. Good luck!

3. I would need a little more information but send a certified cease and desist letter. FDCPA does not apply to original creditors and only applies to collection companies. Texas does have a Debt Collection statute that ties into the DTPA statutes that are applicable to original creditors. Get all documentation and go see a consumer rights attorney that handles debt collection violations.