Can a Legal resident alien be deported for a misdemeanor c??

Tigard, OR |
Filed under: Immigration

I got a citation for a misdemeanor c, (theft 3). Should I be concern of being deported? I dont have a criminal record not even a traffic ticket...what should I do? should I pled guilty??

Some theft offenses may be misdemeanors in state court but crimes of moral turpitude in immigration. Is the POTENTIAL sentence one year or more in jail? If so, there will be a problem with immigration. DO NOT PLEAD GUILTY unless you speak to an immigration attorney who is familiar with the state criminal code or both an immigration and criminal attorney in your state. Many know both ends of the law. Another problem is that a probation before judgment is considered to be just like a guilty plea for immigration purposes but not a big deal for criminal law. Many criminal law practitioners think they are doing you a big favor getting you a PBJ and they are causing you big problems instead.

This communication is intended as general information and not specific legal advice, and this communication does not create an attorney-client relationship. Consultation with an experienced competent immigration attorney is often the best way to address the complexities of individual immigration issues.

Recommended articles about Immigration