Can a legal immigrant file for bankruptcy and seek to discharge costs associated with a car accident

Asked over 5 years ago - Washington, DC

Hi, I'm an immigrant with a green card. Last year, I got into an accident right after my insurance expired - I wasn't aware that it had expired, and now I have 10,000 dollars in debt to Geico. I am a nurse assistant and make under 20,000 a year, and have an additional 1000 in debt, for a total of 11,000. My credit rating isn't all that great since I didn't have a job for a while and was going to school. I'm wondering if I should declare bankruptcy, and if I did, would they be likely to approve it? I don't have any money for an attorney... but I know there is free representation out there.

1. Brett D Weiss

Pro

2

4

Answered . You do not need to be a US citizen to file. You don't even need to have a green card. Assuming the accident wasn't caused by drunk driving, any claim resulting from it should be dischargeable.

Brett Weiss
    brett@BankruptcyLawMaryland.com
    www.BankruptcyLawMaryland.com

*****************************************************************
    The Small Print: This response is for discussion purposes only. It isn't meant to be legal advice and you shouldn't treat it as such. If you want legal advice, speak with a local lawyer familiar with your state's laws who can review *all* of the facts and the law applicable to your situation.