Can a lease increase go every year into infinity ?

Chicago, IL |

I was told that the rent goes up every year.

1. Yes. You are then free to accept or reject the new contract terms.

This answer is intended as informational only, and does not constitute legal advice or form an attorney-client relationship between us.

2. Infinity? Probably not. But as long as a tenant agrees to the incease by accepting and signing the new contract--yes, an annual rent increase that is in accordance with state laws and city ordinances is perfectly normal.

READ THIS BEFORE CALLING OR EMAILING ME: I am licensed to practice before the state and federal courts in Virginia. We have not established an attorney-client relationship unless we have a signed representation agreement and you have paid me. I do five my 100% effort to get you on the right track with your issue. Sometimes that means legal educational information, sometimes that means counseling and non-legal guidance. You should speak with an attorney to whom you have provided all the facts, before you take steps that may impact your legal rights. I am not obligated to answer subsequent emails or phone calls unless you have hired me. I wish you the best of luck with your situation.

3. There are no laws in Illinois forbidding annual rent increases, so they are free to propose whatever amount they seek. The only way I can imagine them getting into trouble for rent increases would be if they imposed them in a discriminatory manner, or imposed an excessive increase on a tenant who exercised rights under the Chicago RLTO.

The above response is not intended to create, nor does it create either an attorney-client relationship or an ongoing duty to respond to questions. It is intended to be solely the educated opinion of the author and should not be relied upon as legal advice. Some responses may be advertising material. The response given is based upon the limited facts provided by the inquiring person and additional or differing facts might change the response. Attorney is licensed to practice law only in the state of Illinois. Responses are answers to general legal questions and the inquiring party should consult a local attorney for specific answers and advice. Answering this question does create a duty to keep information confidential, nor does it prevent me from representing an adverse party. Advertising Materials.

4. Leases can increase annually. You have the option to renew or not renew.