Can a Laywer help with my fight against a school program?

Fresh Meadows, NY |
Filed under: Education law

I was accepted into a program to pursue a master's degree. After being accepted, I made plans and arrangements around the program including turning down other program offers as well as scraping other applications. Later, after everything was done, I was told that I got rejected. Initially I received a phone call congratulating me on getting into the program but a week or so later I was suddenly rejected. I pretty much got screwed over for the next 2 years at the least. I want to make them honor their initial agreement because I made plans which affect me and my family. The program is saying sorry and that they can't do anything. Is there anything that I can do?

Bring the paperwork to an attorney to review right away.

If this answer is helpful, then please mark the helpful button. If this is the best answer, then please indicate it. Thanks. For further information you should see an attorney and discuss the matter completely. If you are in the New York City area, then you can reach me during normal business hours at 718 329 9500 or www.mynewyorkcitylawyer.com.

Did you receive any formal, written notice of acceptance? Do you know who called to congratulate you? If you have the former, take it to an attorney and hopefully he or she can help you resolve the situation. If it's the latter, you can still go to an attorney and try to figure out what happened with regard to that phone call. If you answered "no" to both, though, you're going to have a hard time proving anything to the satisfaction of a court - unless the program admits that it made a mistake in admitting you initially and then rejecting you two weeks later. If you have anything in writing saying that, take it to that lawyer.

No information you obtain from this answer is legal advice, nor is it intended to be. You should consult an attorney for individualized advice regarding your situation. No attorney-client relationship is formed by my responding to your question.

Christine C McCall

Christine C McCall

But even a confessed error by the school within 2 weeks will not necessarily compel the school to implement an erroneous decision, nor will it create a contractual agreement where none existed and none was intended, nor will it cause a public entity to be liable for unforeseeable harms or losses.

Re: "Initially I received a phone call congratulating me on getting into the program but a week or so later I was suddenly rejected. I pretty much got screwed over for the next 2 years at the least." Notice anything? You've made a huge time and facts leap from being rejected to being screwed over for 2 years in some manner or other. But in the law, facts and sequence not only matter, they are usually outcome determinative. So, what happened in between being rejected and being screwed over for 2 years? Details are critical for analysis.

No legal advice here. READ THIS BEFORE you contact me! My responses to questions on Avvo are never intended as legal advice and must not be relied upon as if they were legal advice. I give legal advice ONLY in the course of a formal attorney-client relationship. Exchange of information through Avvo's Questions forum does not establish an attorney-client relationship with me. That relationship is established only by joint execution of a written agreement for legal services. My law firm does not provide free consultations. Please do not call or write to me with a “few questions” that require me to analyze the specific facts of your history and your license application and prescribe for you how to get a State license. Send me an email to schedule a paid Consultation for that kind of information, direction, and assistance. My law firm presently accepts cases involving State and federal licenses and permits; discipline against State and federal licenses; and disciplinary and academic challenges to universities, colleges, boarding schools, and private schools. We take cases of wrongful termination or employment discrimination only if the claims involve peace officers, universities or colleges.

Education law topics