Can a Laywer help with my fight against a school program?

Asked 12 months ago - Fresh Meadows, NY

I was accepted into a program to pursue a master's degree. After being accepted, I made plans and arrangements around the program including turning down other program offers as well as scraping other applications. Later, after everything was done, I was told that I got rejected. Initially I received a phone call congratulating me on getting into the program but a week or so later I was suddenly rejected. I pretty much got screwed over for the next 2 years at the least. I want to make them honor their initial agreement because I made plans which affect me and my family. The program is saying sorry and that they can't do anything. Is there anything that I can do?

1. Jayson Lutzky

Pro

1

Answered . Bring the paperwork to an attorney to review right away.

2. Kerry Blasingim

2

Answered . Did you receive any formal, written notice of acceptance? Do you know who called to congratulate you? If you have the former, take it to an attorney and hopefully he or she can help you resolve the situation. If it's the latter, you can still go to an attorney and try to figure out what happened with regard to that phone call. If you answered "no" to both, though, you're going to have a hard time proving anything to the satisfaction of a court - unless the program admits that it made a mistake in admitting you initially and then rejecting you two weeks later. If you have anything in writing saying that, take it to that lawyer.

3. Christine C McCall

Pro

2

Answered . Re: "Initially I received a phone call congratulating me on getting into the program but a week or so later I was suddenly rejected. I pretty much got screwed over for the next 2 years at the least." Notice anything? You've made a huge time and facts leap from being rejected to being screwed over for 2 years in some manner or other. But in the law, facts and sequence not only matter, they are usually outcome determinative. So, what happened in between being rejected and being screwed over for 2 years? Details are critical for analysis.