Can a lawyer withhold payment to massage therapist after they reached settlement?

a lawyer settles but there was no negotions with either the lawyer or insurance company and they got settlement based on the billing sent but he has been withholding the payment to me for over 4 months. He tried cutting down payment to an hourly rate which i turned down, now he is saying he will only pay what he says the insurance company usually negotiates for massage.There was no mention of negotions of any type until after he got the settlement. I need to know if this is an ethical or fraudulent issue on the part of the lawyer. he got a settlement from insurance company based on the billing amount not a negotiated rate which means the insurance company did not negotiate down they settled based on the amount he provided to them. Is there anything I can do to get payment?

Denver, CO -

Randy William Ferguson

Randy William Ferguson

Personal Injury Lawyer - Huntsville, AL

Normally the attorney does not have a duty to pay any of the bills unless their is a statutory lien or he has signed a letter guaranteeing payment. We pay the bills if our client asks us to pay them. We often negotiate the bills so that our client gets more money in the settlement. Contact a Colorado attorney and see if there is a requirement that the attorney pay the full amount of the bills.

Kevin Marc Habberfield

Kevin Marc Habberfield

Personal Injury Lawyer - Olean, NY

I don't really understand this question. Are you a client or a service provider seeking to be repaid for services rendered? If a client, the attorney cannot settle without your consent. If the lawyer was collecting a bill on your behalf, he also cannot settle without your consent. If the lawyer is your lawyer, talk to him/her. If not, you may need your own to fight for you. Also keep in mind, very often there are set rates insurance companies will pay for services so you may be limited to that.

Stephen Clark Harkess

Stephen Clark Harkess

Bankruptcy Attorney - Wheat Ridge, CO

It is common for attorneys and their clients to attempt to negotiate the payment of medical liens. However, you are not required to accept a particular amount just because the offer is made to you. Your alternative is to go to court to enforce your lien agaisnt the proceeds. If you don't reach an agreement, this is how you will move forward to enforce your right to get paid.

Christian K. Lassen II

Christian K. Lassen II

Personal Injury Lawyer - Philadelphia, PA

I assume that you provided therapy to this person. If the person has not paid you out of the settlement, take the person to small claims court.

Related Advice