Can a lawyer withhold payment to massage therapist after they reached settlement?

Asked over 2 years ago - Denver, CO

a lawyer settles but there was no negotions with either the lawyer or insurance company and they got settlement based on the billing sent but he has been withholding the payment to me for over 4 months. He tried cutting down payment to an hourly rate which i turned down, now he is saying he will only pay what he says the insurance company usually negotiates for massage.There was no mention of negotions of any type until after he got the settlement. I need to know if this is an ethical or fraudulent issue on the part of the lawyer. he got a settlement from insurance company based on the billing amount not a negotiated rate which means the insurance company did not negotiate down they settled based on the amount he provided to them. Is there anything I can do to get payment?

The client signed a lein which stated that the rates billed are standard insurance rates..which is the same evrywhere.this lawyer had all the information before going to court, He did not contact me with any negotions on the amount billed. He has tried a number of things in order to not pay the full amount which tells me he is grasping at straws to keep some of the settlement at my expense. and to my knowledge, the client is not happy that the lawyer has not paid.

1. Randy William Ferguson

6

Answered . Normally the attorney does not have a duty to pay any of the bills unless their is a statutory lien or he has signed a letter guaranteeing payment. We pay the bills if our client asks us to pay them. We often negotiate the bills so that our client gets more money in the settlement. Contact a Colorado attorney and see if there is a requirement that the attorney pay the full amount of the bills.

2. Kevin Marc Habberfield

5

Answered . I don't really understand this question. Are you a client or a service provider seeking to be repaid for services rendered? If a client, the attorney cannot settle without your consent. If the lawyer was collecting a bill on your behalf, he also cannot settle without your consent. If the lawyer is your lawyer, talk to him/her. If not, you may need your own to fight for you. Also keep in mind, very often there are set rates insurance companies will pay for services so you may be limited to that.

3. Stephen Clark Harkess

Pro

3

Answered . It is common for attorneys and their clients to attempt to negotiate the payment of medical liens. However, you are not required to accept a particular amount just because the offer is made to you. Your alternative is to go to court to enforce your lien agaisnt the proceeds. If you don't reach an agreement, this is how you will move forward to enforce your right to get paid.

Pro

4

Answered . I assume that you provided therapy to this person. If the person has not paid you out of the settlement, take the person to small claims court.