Can a lawyer that was representing my opponent in real estate matter turn against her former client and represent me in court

Jamaica, NY |

my former girlfriend and i was in dispute how to share property but she fired her lawyer who now want to represent me now that it is going to court

1. Dear can a lawyer represent?

No. Even were your former girlfriend to consent to the relationship, in spite of the obvious conflict, there is no way for the attorney to isolate confidential and privileged knowledge and information gained in the same matter while representing the initial client.

You may consider how the attorney could fairly represent you and how the court may react. And you may feel more comfortable if you find another attorney.

The answer provided to you is in the nature of general information. The general proposition being that you should try to avoid a bad outcome if you can.

2. Not in the same case... that is a clear conflict of interest.

I am a former federal and State prosecutor and now handle criminal defense and personal injury/civil rights cases. Feel free to check out my web site and contact me at (212) 577-9797 or via email at Eric@RothsteinLawNY.com. I was named to the Super Lawyers list as one of the top attorneys in New York for 2012. No more than 5 percent of the lawyers in the state are selected by Super Lawyers. The above answer is for informational purposes only and not meant as legal advice.

3. Conflict of interest for a lawyer to switch sides and represent the opposing side in a case. Ethically, the lawyer can not represent the opposing side and would be disqualified by the court.

If this answer is helpful, then please mark the helpful button. If this is the best answer, then please indicate it. Thanks. For further information you should see an attorney and discuss the matter completely. If you are in the New York City area, then you can reach me during normal business hours at 718 329 9500 or www.mynewyorkcitylawyer.com.