Can a lawyer that was representing my opponent in real estate matter turn against her former client and represent me in court

Asked almost 2 years ago - Jamaica, NY

my former girlfriend and i was in dispute how to share property but she fired her lawyer who now want to represent me now that it is going to court

1. Steven Warren Smollens

4

Answered . Dear can a lawyer represent?

No. Even were your former girlfriend to consent to the relationship, in spite of the obvious conflict, there is no way for the attorney to isolate confidential and privileged knowledge and information gained in the same matter while representing the initial client.

You may consider how the attorney could fairly represent you and how the court may react. And you may feel more comfortable if you find another attorney.

2. Eric Edward Rothstein

3

Answered . Not in the same case... that is a clear conflict of interest.

3. Jayson Lutzky

Pro

2

Answered . Conflict of interest for a lawyer to switch sides and represent the opposing side in a case. Ethically, the lawyer can not represent the opposing side and would be disqualified by the court.

4. Bradley D. Harville

3

Answered . Ditto.