Skip to main content

Can a lawyer take over half of your inheritance money?

Hudson, FL |

I have a friend who finally became of age to receive an inheritance that his deceased father had left to him, but, the lawyer who helped him obtain the money took most of it. Is this totally allowed? If so, is there anyway to avoid having so much of your inheritance money taken away like that?

Attorney Answers 3


Your question does not give us enough facts. However from the limited facts you have provided this would appear to be unusual. An attorney in your friends area should review a copy of the trust and tour friend should ask for an accounting. Best of luck to your friend.

Mark as helpful

2 lawyers agree

1 comment

Jeff Tomberg

Jeff Tomberg


i believe i gave a very similar answer to the same question you might have posted


That question can't be answered without more facts. If the money was in a trust or a guardianship there was an accounting which showed where the money went. Fees for trusts and guardianships are not generally on a percentage basis, they are hourly, so it's possible if the inheritance was not large half of it could go to trustee or guardianship fees. Your friend could hire an attorney to look over the paperwork and get an opinion that way.

The contents of this answer should be considered friendly advice, not legal advice and the answer should not be construed to constitute an attorney-client relationship. If you'd like actual legal advice, call me at 954-567-4100. Also, if you liked this answer did, be sure to click the thumbs-up button

Mark as helpful

1 lawyer agrees


It does not sound right. However, if it was a small inheritance, that can happen. It depends upon a number of factors and you have not listed enough facts for us to know exactly what the circumstances were.

R. Jason de Groot, Esq., 386-337-8239

Mark as helpful

Child custody topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics