Can a lawyer still practice law in California, even though he has moved to another state?

Asked about 1 year ago - San Diego, CA

A lawyer recently moved out of state and wants my business. He is still using his old California address which he no longer is affiliated with on all of his paperwork. Should I be worried about dealing with an out of state lawyer? What problems might I face?

1. Inga L Stevens

8

Answered . If he maintains his CA license it should be no problem. Plenty of attorneys practice in more than one state.

2. Nicholas Basil Spirtos

3

Answered . A lawyer does not need to be physically located in a specific State to practice law there. He would need to be licensed in that State. In this day and age of electronic technology, it would be easier to practice from a distant location.
    There could be any number of difficulties in doing that, but which ones might have an impact on you would be impossible to say.

3. Stephen Andrew Hamer

4

Answered . He just has to maintain his CA License, no matter where he lives.

4. John P Corrigan

3

Answered . Assuming his licenses is still in place, I think the question is more about the nature of his services and how often do you want to see him. In other words, if he is representing you in a CA litigation matter and he has to be in court for you then his location may be an issue. If you like face to face meetings and do not like Internet, telephone and Skype then may not work well for you.

5. Daniel Gary Rosenthal

Pro

3

Answered . As long as he is licensed by the CA bar, this should be fine -- virtual law firms are very common now.

6. Michael L Detzky

Pro

2

Answered . Sure. As long as he or she is admitted to the California Bar or is admitted to practice for for one case by the Court.