Can a lawyer help me deal with my mortgage company?

Chester, NY |

I am underwater on my house (about $40000), have tried unsuccessfully to refinance twice (in 2009 and 2010) and tried for a loan modification (unsuccessfully) last year (the loan mod was unsuccessful b/c we have never missed a payment). The interest rate is 6.75% and it's a 40 year loan. My husband just lost his job and I am pregnant. I want to be proactive in dealing with this. We do not want to lose the house. What can we do?

1. A lawyer could help you defend against a foreclosure if that happens. Doubtful that a lawyer will be able to help you get a modification. Moreover, be very suspicious of any company that wants money upfront to help you get a modification. Many are outright scams.

Legal Information is Not Legal Advice My answer provides information about the law based on the limited information provided in the questions asked and is not intended to provide legal advice or opinions, and does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. The answer to the question is for educational and informational purposes only. The law differs in each jurisdiction and may be interpreted or applied differently depending on the jurisdiction or situation. Accordingly, I highly recommend that you consult with an attorney to discuss the details of your problem so you can get legal advice tailored to your particular circumstances.

2. You may be entitled to a loan modification or, under the program announced yesterday by the federal government, even a reduction of principal. You should consult with a competent lawyer knowledgeable in this area; there are many legal services organizations and pro bono institutions which have very good lawyers. If you do not get good held, the bank will quite likely take you to the cleaners.

If you do not have a signed retainer fee agreement with Chittur & >Associates, P.C., ("the Firm"), then until such retainer agreement is >entered into, neither the Firm nor any of its attorneys will represent you >nor will they be your attorney in any matter and you remain responsible for >any and all deadlines and for any statutes of limitations that may pertain >to potential claims. No attorney-client relationship exists until such >agreement is entered into; however, communications with the Firm by a >prospective client remain confidential and are considered privileged. >This email may contain confidential and/or privileged material for the sole >use of the intended recipient(s). Any review, use, distribution or >disclosure by others is strictly prohibited. If you are not the intended >recipient (or authorized to receive for the recipient), please contact the >sender by reply email and delete all copies of this message.