Can a lawyer fax a subpoena duces tecum? Does the job have to respond if sent inapproprietly?

Asked 5 months ago - New York, NY

My husband filed petition for modification of child support? He lost one of his jobs and still tries to maintain 3 other jobs to support me and our children and pay his support. The defendants lawyer sent him a copy of a subpoena duces tecum that he sent to the job he used to work at to find out why he lost his job. Then he faxed a subpoena to the current job he works to find out how much he makes. Can the defedents lawyer fax a subpoena and with no cover page and no ones attention or confidentiallity? I thought that was not legal.

1. Eric Edward Rothstein

4

Answered . There is nothing illegal about faxing a subpoena but it is not valid service. It is up to the company whether to respond or insist upon proper service.

2. David Ivan Bliven

Pro

3

Answered . It's not a matter of it being "legal" or not, it's a matter of whether it's proper service - it's not. Subpoenas must be served in the same manner as a summons. Schedule a consult with a NYC Family Law attorney.

* If you found my answer to be "HELPFUL," or the "BEST ANSWER," please feel free to mark it accordingly.
  3. Ian S. Mednick

Pro

3

Answered . No subpoenas cannot be faxed. They must be served in the same manner as one would serve a summons. However some companies will accept a subpoena by facsimile.