Can a lawyer demand maintenance records from an apartment office. They refused to give us doc. Proof of maintenance.

Cape Coral, FL |
Filed under: Landlord-tenant

We lived on the third floor of the apartment and began having issues with the ac unit located in pantry within our apartment. The entire ac unit turned to ice and left our ac at a constant 80degrees. They came multiple times to fix our air by adding free-on which only temporarily fixed the issue. When I went down to the office complaining that they were not actually fixing the issue and that we were fed up and wanted out of our lease the office manager took the maintenance documents and held them up to his chest and told me "you aren't getting these." We left and are ow stuck with 3,200.00 for breaking our lease. I need help. What can I do??

The apartment complex is not required to turn over its maintenance records, unless a law suit is filed against it. Then, the records could be subpoenaed if the information and records requested are reasonably calculated to lead to the discovery of admissible evidence.

I recommend that you consult with a local attorney to review your lease and all the relevant facts of this matter. Sometimes a letter from an attorney is sufficient to resolve the dispute.

The hiring of an attorney is an important decision that should not be based solely upon advertisements. Before you decide, ask us to send you free written information about our qualifications and experience. The information provided by this website is not intended, nor should it be construed, to be legal advice. Your use of this website, and/or the sending of information to the Fucillo Law Firm, P.L., does not establish an attorney/client relationship. Please do not send us any confidential or privileged information until such time that an actual attorney/client relationship is actually established.

Landlord-tenant topics

Recommended articles about Landlord-tenant