Can a lawyer be sued for ethical reasons?

Brooklyn, NY |

a worker comp lawyer was retained on numerous cases in 2011. a settlement was reached. An old case through another firm which remained open for medical reasons (continuous dr visits) which isnt listed on current settlement agreement was closed. i receive a letter from old case ins company asking questions. i forward documents to current firm because former firm says they took the case. current firm hasnt kept me abreast w/o a chase during entire proceedings nor will they talk to me now (xfering my calls, no one returns calls). they even sent me a letter stating theyve tried to reach me and couldnt leave v-message because mailbox isnt set up which is a bold faced lie. Ive been with current service provider for over 8 yrs and v-mail has been set up for that amount of time. what can i do?

1. You can sue a lawyer for damages if the lawyer commits malpractice or steals from you. Failing to return calls does not amount to malpractice. Take a deep breath and call them again or send them a letter. A nice letter.

Any opinions stated in response to Avvo questions are based upon the facts stated in the question. Responses to Avvo questions are for general information purposes only, and should not be construed or relied upon as legal advice.

2. You can sue a lawyer for damages caused by the lawyer's negligence. Your fact pattern isnt clear to me so I can't say whether you have a case or not.

I am a former federal and State prosecutor and have been doing criminal defense work for over 16 years. I was named to the Super Lawyers list as one of the top attorneys in New York for 2012 and 2013. No more than 5 percent of the lawyers in the state are selected by Super Lawyers. Martindale-Hubbell has given me its highest rating - AV Preeminent - in the areas of Criminal Law, Personal Injury, and Litigation. According to Martindale-Hubbell”AV Preeminent is a significant rating accomplishment - a testament to the fact that a lawyer's peers rank him or her at the highest level of professional excellence." Fewer than 8% of attorneys achieve an AV Preeminent rating. I also have the highest ranking – “superb” – on Avvo. The above answer, and any follow up comments or emails is for informational purposes only and not meant as legal advice.