Can a law firm sue me and collect a debt if I was never served?

Asked 6 months ago - Santa Clarita, CA

I had a credit card that I defaulted on. I received a letter that states that I was served with a lawsuit and that I failed to respond. That's not true. I was never served. Now they are looking to enter a default judgment against me. What should I do?

1. Richard Scott Lysle

2

Answered . You should consult a lawyer. If you were not served, the only way that you can prevent a default is to make a motion to set aside the default, and you must do this promptly. Otherwise, you will lose your right to contest the debt.

2. Dorothy G Bunce

Pro

3

Answered . The court rules of civil procedure allow someone to be served by a substituted method when the party can't be found or appears to be avoiding the process server. It is perfectly acceptable to have a form of service in which you as the Defendant, don't actually receive notice of a lawsuit. All the creditor must do is comply with the court rules for trying to find you. Hope this perspective helps!

3. Sandra Maria Nutt

1

Answered . You needn't post your question two times. Someone will respond when posted in the proper category. I responded to this question with your other post.
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0989924300/ref...