Can a law firm sue me and collect a debt if I was never served?

Asked 8 months ago - Santa Clarita, CA

I had a credit card that I defaulted on. I received a letter that states that I was served with a lawsuit and that I failed to respond. That's not true. I was never served. Now they are looking to enter a default judgment against me. What should I do?

Attorney answers (3)

  1. Richard Scott Lysle

    Contributor Level 18


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . You should consult a lawyer. If you were not served, the only way that you can prevent a default is to make a motion to set aside the default, and you must do this promptly. Otherwise, you will lose your right to contest the debt.

  2. Dorothy G Bunce


    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . The court rules of civil procedure allow someone to be served by a substituted method when the party can't be found or appears to be avoiding the process server. It is perfectly acceptable to have a form of service in which you as the Defendant, don't actually receive notice of a lawsuit. All the creditor must do is comply with the court rules for trying to find you. Hope this perspective helps!

  3. Sandra Maria Nutt

    Contributor Level 14


    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . You needn't post your question two times. Someone will respond when posted in the proper category. I responded to this question with your other post.

Related Topics


There are different types of debt, but all involve one person (the debtor) owing money to another (the creditor). Terms of repayment are governed by a contract.

Debt collection and debt settlement

If you face debt collection you may choose to fight it and defend against garnishment. You may also seek debt settlement as a way to negotiate with creditors.

Ryan Hardy

Accord and Satisfaction in Arizona

In Arizona, two parties can agree to a lesser amount than what is actually owed. In order for this to occur, there needs to be a clear indicator that a full satisfaction of the debt is... more

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

29,269 answers this week

3,349 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

29,269 answers this week

3,349 attorneys answering