Can a large 401k contribution before filling for Chapter 7 be reversed by the trustee, or considered preferential by the court?

Asked almost 2 years ago - Seattle, WA

I have an LLC business account worth about $11k, roughly $8k of which came from my 401k almost 3 years ago - This is how I was able to afford starting my company, which I am now closing. If I were to contribute all $11k to my 401k account, would this be considered hiding funds, or anything of that nature that could cause my filing to be rejected? Or, as could be done with anything deemed preferential payment, could it be reversed and taken by the trustee?

1. Helene Thaissa W. Bergman

Pro

3

Answered . Get some legal help before transferring. It could be a BIG problem if the wrong things are "purchased." 11K sounds like enough money to live on for a while, pending a new job, or new business venture. Don't rush to file.

2. Alan D. Walton

Pro

2

Answered . The 401(k) loan has repayment terms. If you pay more than required, it would be a reversible preference if your business or you filed a bankruptcy. This is why you need an attorney to assist you. Bankruptcy is a maze, and you definitely need a guide through it.

3. Deborah F Bowinski

1

Answered . Consult with and retain an experienced bankruptcy attorney to guide you through this process. There are many pitfalls and many ways to lose assets if not properly advised and handled.

4. Marc Gregory Wagman

Answered . Yes paying one creditor over another is a preferential payment and can be undone by a trustee. Consult an attorney and hire one. If you are audited by the UST then they look for this kind of thing and in addition it has to be listed in the Statement of Financial affairs. What triggers an audit no one knows. As a general answer do not transfer or do anything prior to filing it is a generally a no no!