Can a large 401k contribution before filling for Chapter 7 be reversed by the trustee, or considered preferential by the court?

Asked about 2 years ago - Seattle, WA

I have an LLC business account worth about $11k, roughly $8k of which came from my 401k almost 3 years ago - This is how I was able to afford starting my company, which I am now closing. If I were to contribute all $11k to my 401k account, would this be considered hiding funds, or anything of that nature that could cause my filing to be rejected? Or, as could be done with anything deemed preferential payment, could it be reversed and taken by the trustee?

Attorney answers (4)

  1. Helene Thaissa W. Bergman


    Contributor Level 11


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . Get some legal help before transferring. It could be a BIG problem if the wrong things are "purchased." 11K sounds like enough money to live on for a while, pending a new job, or new business venture. Don't rush to file.

  2. Alan D. Walton


    Contributor Level 19


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . The 401(k) loan has repayment terms. If you pay more than required, it would be a reversible preference if your business or you filed a bankruptcy. This is why you need an attorney to assist you. Bankruptcy is a maze, and you definitely need a guide through it.

  3. Deborah F Bowinski

    Contributor Level 17


    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . Consult with and retain an experienced bankruptcy attorney to guide you through this process. There are many pitfalls and many ways to lose assets if not properly advised and handled.

  4. Marc Gregory Wagman

    Contributor Level 17

    Answered . Yes paying one creditor over another is a preferential payment and can be undone by a trustee. Consult an attorney and hire one. If you are audited by the UST then they look for this kind of thing and in addition it has to be listed in the Statement of Financial affairs. What triggers an audit no one knows. As a general answer do not transfer or do anything prior to filing it is a generally a no no!

    The response given is not intended to create, nor does it create an ongoing duty to respond to questions. The... more

Related Topics

Small business LLCs

An LLC (limited liability company) is a business entity that has elements of both a corporation and a partnership (or sole proprietorship).


Bankruptcy is a legal way for people or businesses who are no longer capable of paying back their bills to clear these debts and start over.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

22,784 answers this week

2,767 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

22,784 answers this week

2,767 attorneys answering