Can a landlord tell me today that I am being evicted by 4pm tomorrow without a court order? Can the police remove me?

Cohoes, NY |

Landlord says that I took too long to schedule a time to meet with him so he will be terminating an agreement that I never signed or agreed to.

1. No.
    No. Police will likely tell you & LL the matter is a civil matter.

READ THIS BEFORE CALLING OR EMAILING ME: I am licensed to practice before the state and federal courts in Virginia. We have not established an attorney-client relationship unless we have a signed representation agreement and you have paid me. I am providing educational instruction only--not legal advice. You should speak with an attorney to whom you have provided all the facts, before you take steps that may impact your legal rights. I am not obligated to answer subsequent emails or phone calls unless you have hired me. I wish you the best of luck with your situation.

2. No but if you are living there with out a lease it is only a matter of time.

I am a former federal and State prosecutor and now handle criminal defense and personal injury/civil rights cases. Feel free to check out my web site and contact me at (212) 577-9797 or via email at Eric@RothsteinLawNY.com. I was named to the Super Lawyers list as one of the top attorneys in New York for 2012. No more than 5 percent of the lawyers in the state are selected by Super Lawyers. The above answer is for informational purposes only and not meant as legal advice.

3. Dear can landlord tell me?

Perhaps. New York State's ;aw relating to when a special proceeding must be brought to remove a tenant from possession carves out a narrow exception for persons who have not yet lived thirty consecutive days in their dwelling. Strange but true. New York City's illegal eviction law tracks that state law and allows for eviction without court process for a person residing less than 30 days in their dwelling.

You should check with Cohoes Police Department to verify the landlord's information to you.

The answer provided to you is in the nature of general information. The general proposition being that you should try to avoid a bad outcome if you can.

4. No, he cannot legally ask you to leave and give you 24 hours notice. In order to remove you from the property, he needs to commence an eviction proceeding. Even if he calls the police, it's unlikely they will get involved as this is a civil matter pertaining to a leasehold, and not a criminal matter. If he does attempt to remove you, he would be engaging in what is known as self-help, and he could be liable to you for his illegal actions.

If you find this answer useful, please mark it as "Helpful". Likewise, if you believe it is the most responsive, please mark it as the "Best Answer". The information provided herein is for informational purposes only, and should not be relied upon or construed as legal advice or legal opinion. You should not rely upon the information provided at this site without seeking individual advice from an attorney. No attorney-client relationship can be assumed or created by this post.

Landlord-tenant law topics