Can a landlord sue for not returning the keys to the apartment?

Asked about 1 year ago - North Hollywood, CA

I recently moved out of an apartment and I had lost the keys. The landlord is now saying he will sue for not returning the keys. I lived there for 3 months as a subletter. I than chose to go to rehab. Paid one extra month. They found someone to replace me but still want the keys. I offered to pay for the locks to be changed but he said he will still sue me. Can he do this? If so what will he sue for?

Attorney answers (3)

  1. Christian Frederick Paul

    Contributor Level 13


    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . He can sue you but what are his damages? You offered to pay for changing the locks. If you do that, what else can he want?

    No damages means no case. If he does sue you, he'll have to prove that he was somehow harmed, and it's hard to imagine that the amount will be greater than the cost to change the locks.

    Sounds like a misguided bully to me.

  2. Sagar P. Parikh

    Contributor Level 19

    Answered . Yes, he can

  3. Alan James Brinkmeier

    Contributor Level 20

    Answered . Yes

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

27,039 answers this week

3,015 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

27,039 answers this week

3,015 attorneys answering