Can a landlord show an apartment with less than 48 hours notice and NO notification that the lease would not be renewed?

Asked over 1 year ago - Chicago, IL

I lived in an apartment with 3 roommates for almost 3 years. The lease ends in July, and in early May I notified my landlord that I would be moving out but the other tenants wanted to renew with a new roommate. Two days later, my landlord called my roommate and told him someone had to be home that night so she could show the apartment to new tenants. Clearly she did not tell us she would not renew, nor did she give the RLTO required 48 hours notice. She indicated she would "leave a key" for an "agent" if no one was home. Is this illegal? She also showed my apartment again with 20 minutes notice the follwing week - she opened my bedroom door and walked in on me sleeping. It was enough to make me lock my door every night. Is this grounds for a lawsuit?

It does apply from my understanding because it is a 2-unit building and the Landlord does NOT live in-building.

1. Joseph Andrew Brabender IV

Pro

2

Answered . Yes, the unlawful entry is a basis for a lawsuit so long as the RLTO applies.

How many units are in the building? Does the landlord live in the building?