Can a landlord show an apartment with less than 48 hours notice and NO notification that the lease would not be renewed?

Chicago, IL |
Filed under: Tenant rights

I lived in an apartment with 3 roommates for almost 3 years. The lease ends in July, and in early May I notified my landlord that I would be moving out but the other tenants wanted to renew with a new roommate. Two days later, my landlord called my roommate and told him someone had to be home that night so she could show the apartment to new tenants. Clearly she did not tell us she would not renew, nor did she give the RLTO required 48 hours notice. She indicated she would "leave a key" for an "agent" if no one was home. Is this illegal? She also showed my apartment again with 20 minutes notice the follwing week - she opened my bedroom door and walked in on me sleeping. It was enough to make me lock my door every night. Is this grounds for a lawsuit?

It does apply from my understanding because it is a 2-unit building and the Landlord does NOT live in-building.

1. Yes, the unlawful entry is a basis for a lawsuit so long as the RLTO applies.

How many units are in the building? Does the landlord live in the building?

Though we strive to provide accurate legal information in our answers on AVVO, our answer should not be construed as legal advice and it does not create an attorney-client relationship. Our firm only forms attorney-client relationships by written agreement signed by both our firm and the client. Please seek an in-person consultation with an attorney immediately as almost all legal matters are time sensitive and failing to meet deadlines can result in adverse consequences.

Landlord-tenant topics