Can a Landlord require that a tenant use a housekeeping service bi-monthly?

Ladera Ranch, CA |

I have been renting a room for 14 months, no formal lease agreement was ever drawn up or signed. It is on a month to month basis, the landlord is insisting that because no security deposit was paid up front, that a housekeeping service is necessary, because when she comes over, the house is not up to her standards. (On a side note, the batch is crazy, the house is kept clean because I maintain it clean. I have never needed a housekeeper in my 24 years on Earth, nor will I ever need one.)

1. As you are renting a room in a home rather than an apartment, your rights are somewhat more limited. While I do not fully understand what the LL is getting at, my sense is that it would be a good idea for you to consider whether you want to remain in this situation. If the LL is insisting, she needs to give you 30 days written notice of this change in the terms and conditions of your rental agreement.

This is not a substitute for a consultation with an attorney with a background in housing law.

2. Yes. I agree with Attorney Macklin that your rights are limited when you are talking about renting a single room within a house.

Frank W. Chen has been licensed to practice law in California since 1988. The information presented here is general in nature and is not intended, nor should be construed, as legal advice for a particular case. This Avvo.com posting does not create any attorney-client relationship with the author. For specific advice about your particular situation, please consult with your own attorney.

3. In addition to the advice already provided. If you plan on living in the house for an extended period of time I suggest drawing up a formal written lease agreement.

-Michael R. Juarez Law Office of Juarez and Schaeffer PO Box 16216 San Diego, CA 92105 (619) 804-4327 www.jslaw.org Mike@jslaw.org This posting is provided for “information purposes” only and should not be relied upon as "legal advice." Nothing transmitted from this posting constitutes the establishment of an attorney-client relationship. Applicability of the legal principles discussed here may differ substantially in individual situations or in different jurisdictions.

Landlord-tenant law topics