Can a landlord legally remove a tenants personal belongings after the lease ends? What is the process?

Asked almost 4 years ago - York, PA

My lease ended on July 31 and I went to remove my stuff on August 1 (Sunday) and everything was gone. My neighbors said some guys were there earlier that day. I called him right away and I have been calling him ever since and havce sent him numerous emails to retrieve my things, but I have not gotten any sort of response. I realize I didnt have my stuff out on the day the lease was up, but did he have a right to do this without giving me ANY sort of notification? I am also concerned that he got rid of my stuff permanently because my desk was sitting on my porch. Is he required by law to store my stuff for a certain amount of time?

1. Michael James Reed

Answered . Unless there is proof the apartment was abandoned you "renewed" the lease by having your belongings still there and would owe rent for the month of August. The landlord would need an eviction notice or judgment to levy upon to rightfully move out your possessions.

Contact our office for a consultation to go over your options.

The response given is not intended to create, nor does it create an ongoing duty to respond to questions. The response does not form an attorney-client relationship, nor is it intended to be anything other than the educated opinion of the author. It should not be relied upon as legal advice. The response given is based upon the limited facts provided by the person asking the question. To the extent additional or different facts exist, the response might possibly change. Attorney is licensed to practice law only in the State of Pennsylvania. Responses are based solely on Pennsylvania law unless stated otherwise.

Reed Law Office
    212 West Gay Street
    West Chester, PA 19380
    610-696-2600
    ReedPALaw@gmail.com